Salon May 2018
COVER MAY 2018: Angelica MESITI, Mother Tongue 2017, two-channel HD colour video and surround sound, 17 minutes; Courtesy the artist and Anna Schwartz Gallery, Melbourne, Commissioned by Aarhus European Capital of Culture 2017 in association with the 2018 Adelaide Biennial, photo: Bonnie Elliott. 2018 Adelaide Biennial of Australian Art: Divided Worlds, Art Gallery of South Australia, Anne & Gordon Samstag Museum of Art and Museum of Economic Botany, 3 March – 3 June 2018 – adelaidebiennial.com.au/2018/
1. Jörg SCHMEISSER, Looking back 1984, etching. Collection of Laurence O’Keefe and Christopher James
Acquired 1988 © Jörg Schmeisser Estate. Jörg Schmeisser—looking back, prints from the collection of Laurence O’Keefe and Christopher James, Geelong Art Gallery, Little Malop Street Geelong (VIC), until 27 May 2018 – geelonggallery.org.au
2. Samuel CALVERT (1828-1913), engraver; Robert BRUCE (1839-1918), artist. Bank Window – Saturday Night (detail). Wood engraving. Published in The illustrated Australian news for home readers, July 15, 1871 Melbourne: Ebenezer and David Syme. Source: State Library Victoria. Bankrolling Bendigo: building a city, Bendigo Art Gallery, 42 View Street, Bendigo (VIC), 11 May – 7 October 2018 – bendigoartgallery.com.au
3. Rachael DEASE, Like Embracing Ice (Ytre Norskøya Votive #11) (detail), 2017. Photography by Rachael Dease. Rachael Dease: Like Embracing Ice, Fremantle Arts Centre, 1 Finnerty Street, Fremantle (WA), 26 May – 15 July 2018 – fac.org.au
4. Robert ANDREW, Country, Ground, Earth, Sand, Time and Space 2017, soil, aluminium, string and electro-mechanicals, 400 cm by 180 cm by 180 cm.
& 5. Katie BRECKON, Worrorra Stone Tool, Vic Cox Collection 2017, Aluminium plate monoprint on 350gsm Hahnemühle paper, 106 cm by 78 cm. Robert Andrew & Katie Breckon, Fox Galleries, 79 Langridge Street, Collingwood (VIC) 17 May – 16 June 2018 – foxgalleries.com.au
6. Semiconductor (UK artists Ruth Jarman & Joe Gerhardt), Black Rain installation view at Earth: Art of a Changing World, Royal Academy, London, 2010. Image courtesy of Francis Ware Royal Academy of Arts. Semiconductor, Fremantle Arts Centre, 1 Finnerty Street, Fremantle (WA), 26 May – 15 July 2018 – fac.org.au
7. Hayley MILLAR-BAKER, Untitled (3%) (detail), 2017, inkjet print on cotton rag, 65 x 65cm. Courtesy of the artist and Vivien Anderson Gallery. Now and Now, Manningham Art Gallery, Manningham City Square (MC²), 687 Doncaster Road, Doncaster (VIC), 23 May – 30 June 2018 – manningham.vic.gov.au/gallery
6. Caspar FAIRHALL, Iceberg, 2017, oil on Belgian linen, 203 x 203cm each. Caspar Fairhall: Nine times the space that measures day and night, Fremantle Arts Centre, 1 Finnerty Street, Fremantle (WA), 26 May – 15 July 2018 – fac.org.au
8. Megan KEATING, Samuel JOHNSTONE, Matthew BODEN, The Agent 1 2017, animation mock up, dimensions variable. The Agent, ANCA Gallery, 1 Rosevear Place Dickson (ACT), 2 – 21 May 2018 – anca.net.au
Want More? See all of the SALON Pictorial Features we have run to date.